THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you cope?

Go down 
+2
Mad Jack
Dethas
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:56 pm

Do you have coping strategies for when things become too much for you?

What do you do?

Are you a yeller? Or do you go for a walk?

Care to share?
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 6:59 pm

You make some of the best posts, Dethas! Very Happy

I am (ashamedly) a serial wall-puncher. Rolling Eyes It usually ends up hurting my own hand worse than anything else...but that's a bit of the point lol

I have lost MANY deposits on account of putting holes in walls.

I stutter in life and it gets quite bad when I am upset, so yelling is more like dog wailing on this end...so it usually ends up that I will hit something or throw something. If nothing else, I sometimes just sit down and cry.
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Of course, the coping methods that I use are largely dependent upon what is going on...lol

But, there was a time in my life when I yelled like a damn fool at anyone and everyone within ear range...including the poor neighbors that lived close...if not directly at them...then loud enough for them to hear...

Age has somewhat changed that...at some point several years ago...I finally figured out that this was a horrible thing to do to my poor children...

Then of several years... when really upset....I either isolated myself in my room and embarrassingly, I usually take all the blame of whatever the situation is totally upon my shoulders...I brow beat myself...until I am no longer able to sense who or what I am...

Now-a-days...I try to go outside and just get away from everything and calm myself down...try to get a grasp on what the situation really is....I know that too many times...I slip back into the same pattern of self-blame and taking the world onto my shoulders...many times, I cry uncontrollably many more times than I care to admit...and my emotions spiral out of control for some time after I am upset...

I do not yell anymore...I am grateful that I was able to stop this awful behavior...

Not too sure that these are actually COPING skills! lol!

Last edited by on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dethas

Female

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 1:15 am

Much to my frustration, when I get really really angry, I choke and cry.

Mind you, depending on the situation. If it's confrontational and in my face, my voice actually becomes very very cold and sharp. I sound dangerous apparently.

Otherwise, or even afterwards, I cry.

I went for a chakra reading once, and I was told that I don't allow myself to speak my truth, that I close my own truth down. This is apparently the choking and the pain in the throat I experience when angry.

I've tried a few things since to ease it with some success - I'm getting deeply into chakras just lately.
Back to top Go down
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm

When I was younger I just let fly at anyone and anything that got in my way. If I was angry you ran!

I'm soo glad I've mellowed with age and am more considerate of the people around me. yes I can still get annoyed and angry but what I do now is sit down and take a few deep breaths and say to myself. I have 2 choices. 1 Choose to stay annoyed and angry 2 Choose to be in a good mood.

This is not easy but it is acheivable and I try and use it everytime this happens.

Plus I use EFT which I've spoken about in the Self Help thread.

My philosophy now is people can only come from the knowledge, awareness and understanding they have in life, myself included. I'm really glad I've changed. I used to have a massive chip on my shoulder.

Love and Hugs
Aleia
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
Moonvoice
Mover
Mover
Moonvoice

Female
Number of posts : 49

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Dethas wrote:
Do you have coping strategies for when things become too much for you?

What do you do?

Are you a yeller? Or do you go for a walk?

Care to share?

My coping strategies so far are:

If it's not so bad I -

- play Nintendo DS, it's mindless. Hoorah for levelling up Pokemon
- read Garfield
- distract myself by watching some TV
- binge eat (sad, but true).

If it's very bad I -

- cut as many ribbons into my skin as I feel is safe
- re-open scabs
- try and trigger a dissociative state by head-pounding.

Well, that's about it really.
I mean there's more, but they're the mainstays.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildspeak.com/
Dethas

Female

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 1:51 am

(((hugs))) moonvoice - I had no idea you self harmed.

I wish I could reach to Oz cuz I have a really strong urge to hug you.
Back to top Go down
Moonvoice
Mover
Mover
Moonvoice

Female
Number of posts : 49

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 5:47 am

Dethas wrote:
(((hugs))) moonvoice - I had no idea you self harmed.

I have something like 2 metres of surgical scars on my body.

But the metres of very thin self-harm scars that I've got (and some thicker ones)... I wouldn't want to imagine.

I started when I was quite young, approximately 9, I think. I would grasp barbed wire and then rip my hand along it as fast as I could, and shred the skin. Back then I wouldn't usually draw blood, too scared, but eventually I came to depend on the pain and the blood to distract me from the reality of my environment.

I also used to punch my stomach / upper thighs.

I'm sort of grateful I discovered knives, in that sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildspeak.com/
Asphodel Fields

Female
Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-23

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 11:22 pm

I usually cry, and scream into my pillow. When things are really bad though ... I break things.

When my kids are home and I have that anger pent up and reach for something to break, mostly I can pull back and just tend to dig my nails into my palms or bite the inside of my mouth or sides of my tongue. I do this too when I am in public and there is nothing that belongs to me that I can break.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How do you cope? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How do you cope?   How do you cope? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you cope?
Page 1 of 1