THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself! Empty
PostSubject: The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself!   The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself! Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 9:43 pm

Usually,, family caregivers do not, always, do a good job of taking care of themselves. As a rule, caregivers, put the health and needs of our family members first. Not leaving much time or energy to take care of yourselves.

There has been a lot of research to support the above statement…I know, you are sitting there nodding your head…staring tiredly at this screen..thinking..Sure, that sounds good but HOW?…

Here are a few things that you can do to help you take care of yourself:

• Take a daily vitamin supplement
• Get exercise — make it a priority for both your mental and physical well-being.
• Get regular check-ups and do not ignore possible symptoms of ill health.
• Take a break from care giving – respite time is crucial.
• Watch for signs of depression
• Stay involved in hobbies
• Laugh with a friend

You would be surprised at how much better you will feel if you try some or better ALL of these things.

There must be a balance between caring for others and taking care of yourselves. One of the best ways to do this is----to believe----truly believe ….that protecting your own health is an absolutely necessary thing for you to, both for your loved ones and for you. Although, I realize that this will not be easily done, especially, if guilt tends to get in your way; it is vital that you try!!

I hope you find some of this helpful.

Brightest Blessings.
Back to top Go down
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself!   The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 3:11 am

Oh Chiblue this is fantastic advice.

It would be brilliant to repost it in the family and friends board as well. I'm sure that some people who will be readers there will also be carers to some extent?
Back to top Go down

The Best Way to Care for Them – Is to Take Care of Yourself!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Nature of The Beast :: Alzheimer's and Cognitive Disorders-
Jump to: