THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Currently off the meds

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Currently off the meds Empty
PostSubject: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:32 pm

Since being fortunate enough to have found my way back to my spirituality...and my meditations...I have weaned myself off of the medications that were prescribed by my physician...they always seem to make me feel disconnected from the world and myself...I know that many people who have bi-polar disease and depression seem to go back and forth between treatment and well, for lack of a better description...running from treatment...I always feel so much worse when taking the meds...

I have been on at least 12 different meds and always seem to get the worse case side effects from them..I am allergic to several of them and found this out by being prescribed them...and ending up in the hospital...

I know that meds work really well for some people and do not recommend stopping your meds without the approval of your physician...that is how I always do it and she tells me how to slowly wean my body's dependency on them so that it causes no ill effects...she is completely in favor of my current non-treatment....I feel that it is extremely important that I let ya'll know this...

It is going well for me over the past 4 months without pharmaceutical therapy and I am eternally grateful that I have been am to reach a happy-medium through my meditations. I get an "aura" when one of my bad cycles in coming and am learning how to utilize other means to remain positive and not allowing myself to become isolated and thereby falling into a deep depression.....

I hope and pray that this remains to be true...but if I need to go back to my physician...I know that she will be there for me...as always....it is truly a blessing to have a doctor who is not only my medical/mental caregiver but also, my friend!
Back to top Go down
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 6:37 pm

Chiblue, I would be most grateful if you'd keep us well updated on this.

Being Biopolar myself, I am at the maximum doses allowed for my stabiliser and my anti depressant.

Just recently, now that I am walking with Bipolar rather than crawling with it, I've been having thoughts of coming off - or at least downing my dosage.

I'd love to know how it emotionally feels to be without my stabilser - to actually be in the full grip of an emotion - any emotion - would be heavenly I think at times.

Keep us updated hun, and of course, we're all here for you.
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 2:35 am

*HUGS* Y'all are quite awesome! Both of you.

Congrats to you, Chiblue! I am ALL FOR anyone being able to safely come off meds and find a way that really works that allows for the brain's chemistry to regulate itself without the aid of medication.

Dethas *HUGS* I do hope that you can find a way to at least lower the dosage and still function. I know that only time can really tell what will happen, but at any rate...I hope that you can regulate it!

What seems to be a problem (for me) is always thinking that if I'm feeling better then I can come off my med. 80% of the time, of course, I do and end up going right back downhill. It's always one of two things...feeling better = come off the meds....or feeling like holy hell = come off the meds.

I know what you mean, Dethas, about feeling disconnected from emotion. It's just the sad truth of the matter that a lot of the higher dosages will leave you feeling like that...and even more...the lower doses sometimes are worse to do it than the higher ones!

Wellbutrin and I did not EVER get on. From the moment that I started it, it was hell. Some meds I have been 'okay' with...disregarding side effects. But I hate Wellbutrin.

I'm starting Clozaril therapy likely in the next week or so. I wish to the gods that I could come off everything, but I know that I can't do that and be a functioning member of society. If there were a holistic method then I'd certainly give it a try...but I think I'm at the point to where I'm tired of struggling against the inevitable truth and just accept that I am going to have to be on meds for the rest of my life.
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 12:02 pm

I have been prescribed many different types of medications which have caused me varying problems...horrible side effects and numerous hospital trips...

I also have severe anxiety...for which I was prescribed ativan...Ativan caused me to have horrible bouts of projectile vomiting...reminded me of the girl on the Exorcist....but my head did not spin around...which in turn caused..severe dehydration...and a trip to the hospital...no more ativan.

They prescribed me, seroquel...which caused me to sleep 14-16 hours a day..like Rip Van Winkle....then when I would finally wake up...I felt like total shit...headaches...migraines were frequent...I was missing so much of my life...nothing was getting done...my house was a wreck...it made me feel like such a loser...and I feared the repercussions on my family..with a disabled Mother and husband to try to care for, at the time...I quit taking this med.

Next they put me on xanax...causing me further severe mood swings and after taking it for several weeks...I began to experience nausea, stomach problems...I dealt with this the best I could, because my physician told me to continue the meds...the side effects would wear-off...within the next two weeks...I began to experience...severe uncontrollable diarrhea...now, I could not leave my house...and the mood swings continued...my family was so worried about these side effects...but I continued to take this med...after my husband came home from a trip to the doctor for himself and found me on the floor of the bedroom...passed out with no memory of what happened...another trip to the hospital...severe dehydration....no more xanax..

Next came prozac...which bounced me off the walls...days with no sleep...no food...my family intervened quickly after all of the other medication problems...my darling hubby...drug me back to the doctor....no more prozac

The last medication that I was prescribed was Biaxin...I must admit that for several days..I did feel better...I began this med within 2 weeks of my Mother's death...and I needed something...I was such a basket case...having been her primary caregiver for so many years...her being a part of my daily life...between my grief...my son who is 5 crying everyday because his Grandma was not here...my husband dealing with his grief in a bottle of Jim Beam....I was falling apart....after taking this med for a month...my doctor doubled the dosage....then I began having the same problems I always seem to develop...the nausea, the headaches, the diarrhea, worries of dehydration...sleeping too much...walking around in a daze...unable to drive..because I was not safe...depression set in pretty good....my doctor...dropped the dosage back to the original dose but my body just would not adjust to it again...she weaned me off the medications and for now I am not taking anything...

I have learned to recognize when I am going into a manic or depression phase...and battle it with meditation, activities, and through my family rallying around to support me...I am not sure if I will be able to stay off the medications...but for ME...the meds are almost worse than the mental illnesses that I suffer from...
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Dethas,

To answer your question...being fully aware of my emotions...well...as you would expect...some days I seem to do really well...although ,I do seem to get upset easily at times...other days..it is like "poking the bear"...if you even look at me...and that is a direct quote for my darling hubby!!

There are days that I just can not seem to get dressed...leave the house...but that seems to be getting father and farther between...since I began meditating everyday...have gotten so involved in seeker my higher self...things seem to have leveled out...at least for now....if that makes sense...

I do not seem to be having the full gamit of emotions that are possible with bi-polar disease...which is a blessing...so I am wobbling around somewhere in the middle...one of the things that I have noticed lately (which I am sure is because finally all if the meds are out of my system)is that alot of the things of my past are crashing back into my realm of reality...things that I have not thought of for years are like fresh wounds...I am sure that I will be posting some of these issues here at some point in the future...but I am not quite ready to do that yet! Very Happy

I think that one of the hardest thing for me to cope with right now...is Mom's death. I was the one who found her and began CPR...I had seen her less than 30 minutes. before that...my middle son is an EMT and he was the 1st one on the scene...so he had to help me with the CPR until the ambulance...of course, my brother and sister were the biggest assholes over everything and I have not spoken to them since. All of these memories seem to flood back to me at the worse times...like when I am almost asleep...I still feel her presence here alot...smell her...hear the boards of the floors creek where she used to walk..and noone is there...sounds like maybe I have lost it .... huh?
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 7:18 pm

*HUGE HUGS* I commend you for your strength, Chiblue. It really does take a lot of guts and willpower to be able to forge ahead. You're doing an outstanding job...but it's okay to lean back sometimes and not be strong.

Yucky on the meds experiences! Sounds familiar. Ugh nothing worse than the guinea pig phase. *Sighs* Xanax were always something that I loved...but yeah. Ativan made me sick, too! I think that some meds are just inherently prone to give you the worst possible side effects.

I don't think that you've lost it for feeling those things concerning your Mom. *HUGS* In fact...in my opinion...I believe that we SHOULD feel those things. Notice how (especially if you're grieving), they always want to medicate you. Like you shouldn't be feeling those things to that extent. I think that we should allow ourselves to go through the spectrum of feelings that come with grief and a loss of that magnitude. Suppressing those things, to me, only creates MORE unneeded guilt and shadowed hurt.

I also think that you could well be sensing her presence. Certainly we may get fleeting glimpses or scents shortly after someone passes...but really, who's to say that it's not real? I believe that it's entirely possible (and likely) that our loved ones do return to tell us goodbye...or to at least let us know that they're alright and ever near.

The one piece of advice that I can give you is to allow yourself all the time that you need to grieve and to experience the change that her loss has brought to your life...and even if it takes ten years...so be it. Don't rush 'getting over it' and don't chalk things up to your illness. Sometimes it's just the best thing in the world to give ourselves permission to feel something. *HUGS*
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Currently off the meds   Currently off the meds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Currently off the meds
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: Therapy & Treatment-
Jump to: