THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battling the VA and SS in the USA

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Battling the VA and SS in the USA Empty
PostSubject: Battling the VA and SS in the USA   Battling the VA and SS in the USA Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 12:06 pm

Being married to a disabled Vietnam Veteran...we have had to battle and fight with both the Veterans Administration and Social Security in order for him to receive monthly compensation to which he is entitled...

We spent 10 months battling the VA...he saw countless physicians and psychiatrists before finally being approved..it can become very stressful and there is always a chance of things being changed depending on the current restructuring of the VA as proposed by Congress at this time.

Concerning the SS offices...of course, we were turned down the first time and had to hire an attorney...who of course, got part of the settlement or back-pay as it is called...we had to appear before a board who asked the most insulting questions about our personal life and his physical abilities...it was humiliating at times and frustrating all the way through...

We survived...barely...lol....and in the end we won both cases...

If you are thinking about applying for disability compensation, I would advise that you keep every scarp of paper that you are sent...appeal there initial decision as this is one way that they attempt to cut down their caseload and hope that you will just give up! Try not to get discouraged...if you have a good case...it can be won...an attorney may be necessary and in the end...it is well worth it!!!
Back to top Go down
justme
Shaker
Shaker

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Battling the VA and SS in the USA   Battling the VA and SS in the USA Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:31 am

The whole thing just disgusts me. It sends a clear message that you aren't worth anything as a member of society. He did his duty to his country and this is the treatment he gets. You should've made a documentary about it!

So sorry you had to go through that - and to have the threat of possibly losing it in the future is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Battling the VA and SS in the USA   Battling the VA and SS in the USA Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 2:53 pm

Thank you, Justme...I appreciate your thoughts, always!!!

This is a genuine and continual source of stress for my husband..He thinks about it way too much...it worries about it constantly...I completely agree that after volunteering to serve his country...getting shot..and the horror of being involved in and surviving a war..that this should not be something that he should ever have to think about again...

Because of his physical problems as a direct result of his GSW, add the general deterioration that we all endure with age...throw in a having to fight for the benefits that he finally won..although definitely earned...then add the constant worry about his financial fear for his own health and welfare...PLUS his families...the government should take a look at what they put our Veterans through...the fact is that few people seem to care about the veterans who have served and worry more about the ones that are serving...but their future is not guaranteed either..time continues...so they will one day be where Michael is now...

It is almost impossible to enjoy the final days of his life with the constant pain he is in...and this (money) should have to be a source of constant misery...they put him thorough a ridiculous amounts of tests when we were battling this...they KNOW he will never ever be able to work again...In my opinion....He has done his part!!

*Maybe I should have posted this in the rants section..LOL
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Battling the VA and SS in the USA   Battling the VA and SS in the USA Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:38 pm

*HUGS* Thank you for sharing this, hun. It really does make one believe that there can be hope lol
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battling the VA and SS in the USA   Battling the VA and SS in the USA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battling the VA and SS in the USA
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: Disability Issues-
Jump to: