THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's it like?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Deirdre

Female
Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What's it like? Empty
PostSubject: What's it like?   What's it like? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 pm

Well, as the only post here is the announcement, I thought I'd place a post of my own.

What's DID like?

Imagine that you had a twin that you didn't know about.
Imagine that this twin interacted in your life whenever you weren't around. They talk to your friends. They go out and buy things for you. They put miles on your car when you aren't around. You'll go around your home and find things and wonder how they got there. Your friends will "remind you" of things that you presumably did, but have no recollection of.

No imagine that this "twin" actually uses your body to do these things.

Imagine being in your car, and looking out the windscreen and being perhaps 100 miles from where you thought you were perhaps 60 seconds ago. Imagine your therapist bidding you good-bye, but you thought you just sat down.

Imagine that you are diagnosed with a condition that many people don't believe exists.

On the other hand, if you've dealt with this, and accepted it, imagine being able to handle most any situation you come across because there is "someone" who will step up to the plate and deal with things as they need to be dealt with. Imagine being able to deal with a what would for others be painful medical procedure, with calmness and little discomfort.

Imagine beign able to step aside and let someone who is able to, deal with things that might be fearful.

Imagine how strong a person you really are when you find all that strength in your own self.

The interesting thing about Dissociative Identity Disorder is that out of what was terrible adversity, one finds unusual strength. These people are almost real-life super-heroes! We have "alter" identities that handle most anything we encounter.

I remember as a child when a group of adolescents came up to me wanting a fight. I really didn't want to fight, when one of them hits me across my face, breaking my glasses. I still didn't want to fight and tried to leave. One of them told me I wasn't leaving without a fight. The next thing I remember is being on top of one of these kids hitting him. I was terrified, and for years I was frightened about what happens when I "go away".

Years later, and after so much therapy that did little to help calm my fears, I was working with an individual who uses EFT. I came to a realization. What was amazing in that situation so many years ago, and despite my fear that I would seriously hurt someone if I "went away", was that NOBODY was seriously hurt! The one who protects me took over when I wouldn't be able to avoid a physical confrontation, and did EXACTLY what was necessary to protect me. These kids never hurt me again.

While DID can be so terribly frightening, it is simply a means of a "system of individuals" working together to help that "system of individuals" get through life safely.

It's funny that so many people who don't, or aren't willing, to understand DID are Christians. You'd think that such people are used to dealing with a "system of individuals" with the concept of a trinity. Still, it's these people who (at least in my observation) seem most likely to be unaccepting.

In any case, that's my experience. weird though it may be.

--Dee
Back to top Go down
http://www.deesigned.net
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What's it like? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's it like?   What's it like? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 5:22 pm

Deidre
Welcome to the Inner Realm and thank you so much for your post. It gave me such a clear insight into what DID might be like.

What a strange and yet comforting world it seems from what I read. From my perspective, it must be wonderful to know that 'someone' who uses your body will be able to complete any task in hand.

Sometimes, things seem so overwhelming for me, they paralyse me for days even thinking about them, there is no stepping up.

Again, thank you for you brave and enlightening post, I look forward to getting to know you better!

Dethas
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

What's it like? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's it like?   What's it like? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 7:31 pm

*HUGS*

Dee, thank you SO much for giving us that very valuable insight.

It's something that I'm not very familiar with. I have only known one other person to any friendship extent that suffered from this disorder. Perplexing as it may be, it certainly isn't 'weird'. *HUGS*

I think that we're all 'weird' in our own ways...and the 'normal' folks out there are 99% of the time more weird than we are!

I dissociate from time to time, but nothing to the extent of the truly plaguing disorder of DID. It's an alien concept in many ways...but in others I can relate.

What's interesting is to dissect it from a scientific point of view. And to think 'how does this really work?'. I don't know if anyone can ever truly explain this.

The brain is a complex and truly fascinating organ...and a downright ornery one at times, too!

It was brave of you and kind to shed light on these experiences. I know that I learned quite a bit and come away having a new understanding of this disorder. Thank you so much, Dee. *HUGE HUGS*
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

What's it like? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's it like?   What's it like? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2008 8:23 pm

Dee,

Thank you so much for sharing a part of yourself with us. **HUGS**

I want to thank you for giving me a glimpse into the life a person with DID. I am afraid that I have not ever met anyone with this disorder...until now...and it is my pleasure to meet you!

I do not think that you are "weird" either... Very Happy

Your strength is so evident! Through adversity you have a "built in survival system"....I am in awe of this concept...learning to accept this and how to work within it's diversity...would for many be unfathomable...yet, you seem to have done just that! **HUGS**

I greatly admire your inner-strength Exclamation

IF you ever need to talk..just PM me...I will be happy to listen.

Brightest Blessings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's it like? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's it like?   What's it like? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's it like?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Nature of The Beast :: Dissociative Disorders-
Jump to: