THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?

Go down 
5 posters

Have you been discriminated against because of mental ilness?
Yes
Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Vote_lcap60%Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Vote_rcap
 60% [ 3 ]
No
Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Vote_lcap40%Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Vote_rcap
 40% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Empty
PostSubject: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:21 am

Do you feel that you have been treated differently because of your mental illnesses?

Is there anything you think we can do about it?

What made you feel this way?

I am not sure how to answer these questions....I know that many times the way I perceive something does not always make it a fact...except to me....so while I feel that I have been discriminated against at times...they may not feel that they did anything wrong...as frustrating as that is......what can be done?

Depending on the situation....I have filed complains against social workers, a therapist, and once a police officer....who arrested me because I could not stop shaking and crying when I had honestly not done anything wrong....

I wondered who else might have felt this way....so please share if you want to....
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 am

WONDERFUL poll here, Chi! *HUGS*

I have been discriminated against quite a bit. *sighs* I had a similar experience to yours, babe. I was arrested (of course I had beaten someone up badly) and assumed to be on drugs because of my behavior.

I have been pseudo-arrested twice for my behavior having nothing to do with any crime...because they thought A) I was drunk or B) I was potentially violent. Because I couldn't articulate what I was trying to say and thus getting frustrated they saw it as I was resisting them and not cooperating!!!

There have been times that I was not hired (I know) because of my behavior. I know that I have been fired from three jobs because of things that people were saying about me to my supervisors (i.e. unstable...distracting...) even though I can't prove this.

People staring at me in places. When I get really nervous in public I start to fidget...I can't help it. And that attracts stares.

I have had to wait longer for a doctor in the emergency rooms, too.

Anyway...I'm sure others have had worse.

Thanks for this topic, Chi. *HUGS*
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 3:18 pm

I actually had to vote no.

Since diagnosis I've found that if anything, I have experienced positive discrimination!

My doctor calls me in ahead of other patients if he sees I'm in or near crisis.

A & E (ER) have treated me quicker than usual because they realise the situation was causing me trauma.

I haven't come across police yet hehe.

I did lose my job, but then, by the time i was diagnosed, the last thing i felt i could do was teach 11 - 16 year old children. However, I have been told that if ever I wanted to return to employment at the school in any capacity then a job is mine for the taking.

The pharmacist has taken trouble to know me and be perfectly discreet about my meds. She isn't with other people, screeching 'who's is the hemaeroid cream?' across the pharmacy on one occasion.

I know this will sound disgusting even as I type it - but my diagnosis has been a ticket to good treatment - almost as if people have been worried at what might happen to them if they don't treat me well!

I suppose size and stature makes me seem a little threatening.. and to find out I have a screw loose too - I can kind of imagine why people treat me well!
Back to top Go down
justme
Shaker
Shaker

Female
Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 4:36 pm

I honestly have no idea. I get paranoid at the best of times lol. I usually take things to mean people don't like me because I'm not worth liking. An idea I've spent the better part of my life fighting, but its still there in the shadows.

I can't say that I have. I did have one doctor accuse me of coming up with illnesses to avoid high school once, but that was before I was diagnosed and he was a quack anyway. Now I can say yes I was coming up with illnesses to avoid school- but it was because of the SAD, not just me wanting to avoid school. I loved school and learning. I felt safe from the world while in school because it was all I'd known, starting at 5 as we do.

I've only really just started explaining to people this is what I have and this is what I do to manage it. So far, no problems at all. I'd say I get more reaction when I tell people I'm bisexual than I do from saying I have SAD.
Back to top Go down
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 pm

I can't say I have, my doctor has always been ok when I've seen him about depression. I must admit though I got the runaround for quite a while until I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I don't think the doctor believed I was as sore as I was telling him I was and all the other symptons as well,

When I was diagnosed the doctor was really helpful. I ended up going private to see a rheumatologist because the waiting list on the NHS was over 18 weeks and I couldn't wait that long it was driving me crazy not knowing what was wrong with me. I'm fortunate my husband's work pays for private health insurance with BUPA.

I'm going to ask my doctor if I can go back for a review with the rhematologist as I'm not coping very well with the constant pain. My depression isn't too bad just now the physical ache I had has gone for now. Very Happy

I just keep telling myself "All is well in my world sunny

Love and Hugs
Aleia
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:51 pm

Awww, Sweetie....HUGE HUGS.....

I hope that your physcian helps you to get into the rheumatologist again real soon.... Wink

And that your pain subsides soon...

Thinking of you, hun Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? 99939

Love and hugs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?   Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you been discriminated against due to mental illness?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: The Outside World-
Jump to: