THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?

Go down 
+2
Chiblue
Mad Jack
6 posters

Would you try ECT?
Yes
Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_lcap0%Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No
Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_lcap100%Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_rcap
 100% [ 6 ]
Maybe
Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_lcap0%Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Other
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Empty
PostSubject: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:26 am

I was curious if anyone would be willing to try electroconvulsive therapy (ECT/shock treatment) if it came down to it being a viable option?

I had been encouraged to do it, but I'm really not ashamed to say that I didn't want to and probably never would. How about you?
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:32 am

OMG, I have to say "NO".....the very thought of electoconculsive therapy scares the hell out of me....after working many years as a nurse in a nursing home...I have had the opportunity to see some of the affects of this...of course, these people received this method of "therapy" many many years ago and surely there has been improvements since then....BUT for me, personally, NEVER!!!

Hugs
Back to top Go down
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:59 am

I chose no. I would be too scared to try this, the very thought creeps me out pale

Love and Hugs
Aleia
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
Moonvoice
Mover
Mover
Moonvoice

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 6:11 am

Mad Jack wrote:
I was curious if anyone would be willing to try electroconvulsive therapy (ECT/shock treatment) if it came down to it being a viable option?

It doesn't help with PTSD, so I'd have to say 'no.'

However, my Aunt had it done (she has been diagnosed with a whole heap of things), and I must say it has generally improved her mood. Sadly, she had it done in the caveman days where they didn't sedate people OR control the voltage as well as they do today... so she also has permanent physical side effects to a very serious degree, as well as tremors.

Basically, she's better emotionally able to handle the way it left her. *rolls eyes*

I think it can work, but it's so extreme that I would suggest trying every other method of therapy first.

I also don't think some of the side effects are worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildspeak.com/
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 pm

*HUGS* for your Aunt.

I researched a shitload about it when they were suggesting it. I'm quite glad that I didn't opt for it...even though most of what you read is 'good'. I think that I would just rather treat the mood problems in another way. Besides, I'm not convinced (knowing my 'real' diagnosis now...I was diagnosed BPI at the time) that it wouldn't have messed with my other symptoms.

I have to agree with you in exhausting all other options first.
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:10 am

I have been offered ECT.

I turned it down flat.

Something about electricity and the sensitive electro impulses in the brain being tampered with to that degree....

I'll remain Bipolar as I am thank you.
Back to top Go down
justme
Shaker
Shaker

Female
Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:12 am

NO. I don't care if it proves to be the best treatment for what I have. NO. I just don't want anyone messing about with the fine electrical balance of my body. Oh GAWD, what if you got addicted??? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?   Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Would You Try Electroconvulsive Therapy?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: Therapy & Treatment-
Jump to: