THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?

Go down 
+2
Rae'ya
Mad Jack
6 posters

Is Antisocial Personality Disorder a real mental illness/condition?
Yes
Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_lcap80%Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_rcap
 80% [ 4 ]
No
Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_lcap0%Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Unsure
Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_lcap20%Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 1 ]
Other
Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_lcap0%Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Empty
PostSubject: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:01 am

What does anyone think of Antisocial Personality Disorder (Sociopathy)?

Some argue that it's not a mental illness or defect at all but a mere scientific 'excuse' for evil behaviors.

I'm curious to know what anyone else's opinions are on the subject. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Rae'ya
Rae'ya

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 1:50 am

Hmmm... I'm not really 100% sure on this one, but I do lean toward the 'yes' option. I'm not sure that 'mental illness' is really the most accurate term for this, but I do believe that those with the condition have brains that fire a bit differently to the 'norm' (although I don't like using that term). There's a lot of controversy over whether Sociopathy has more to do with upbringing or brain chemistry, but I think the fact that some people display the behaviours from early childhood, or display them despite having 'normal' childhood experiences tends to support the theory that it's more of a mental illness than anything else. Having said that, my limited understanding is that there is no real treatment or stabilisation for this condition, so does that then change the way that we class it? Either way I decided to vote 'yes'.
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 3:13 am

My limited understanding of Antisocial Personality Disorder is that it seems to affect people from all walks of life...like other disorders...

I really do not know a lot about this disorder...other than people affected are often times very aggressive without seeming to feel that this is unacceptable.

I voted "yes"....because it just does not seem to me that a disorder with these presenting symptoms could not legitimately be considered anything else; that is just my opinion...

Another point is that there is currently no "cure" for this disorder but that the symptoms can be treated and somewhat controlled with medications/psychotherapy.

Just because the general public does not always believe something to be what it is....does not change the fact that it is....there are currently many disorders and other mental illnesses that are acknowledged now that just a mere 5 - 10 - 15 years ago were looked upon much in this same way...
Back to top Go down
Moonvoice
Mover
Mover
Moonvoice

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 6:08 am

Mad Jack wrote:
What does anyone think of Antisocial Personality Disorder (Sociopathy)?

Some argue that it's not a mental illness or defect at all but a mere scientific 'excuse' for evil behaviors.

I'm curious to know what anyone else's opinions are on the subject. Smile

I am probably one of the few people here who has known someone with APD (who was, in other words, a classic sociopath) and who was at their mercy for some time. The person was completely incapable of remorse, enjoyed killing things, and was probably the most charming person I - and everyone else on my street - had ever met.

I can say that I've never met anyone else quite like him, and that no - your instincts wouldn't be able to accurately tell you what a monster he was, being so 'different' or feeling so differently from the classic human means that - I believe - he didn't trigger standard emotional mistrust responses.

Incidentally, some people with APD go on to lead very successful lives as business moguls, or alternatively as extreme sports addicts, since those with APD often seek 'feeling' and engage in extreme risk taking; and also feel no remorse which makes them excellent to make the decisions necessary to run a business.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildspeak.com/
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 2:18 pm

I voted not sure because I've never really known about this before.

I learn something every day Very Happy

Blessings
Aleia
sunny
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2008 5:20 pm

I voted yes.

I can only talk from my point of view though, and that as you all know is Bipolar.

Comparing the two illnesses from the outside, they are both indeed classifiable as mental illness.

They both cause major disruption to sufferers and others' lives.

'Episodes' can lead to hospitilisation under many other guises.

They both cause a certain confusion in the identity of the sufferer.

This list could go on forever, but what I do know is this - if Bipolar is a mental illness - then so is sociopathy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?   Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Antisocial Personality Disorder - Fact or Fiction?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Nature of The Beast :: Other Disorders-
Jump to: