THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?

Go down 
5 posters

What therapies have you tried? What was the results?
psychotherapy/counseling
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap16%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 4 ]
medications
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap20%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 20% [ 5 ]
herbal remedies
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap12%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 12% [ 3 ]
massage
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap4%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
acupuncture
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap8%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
aromatherapy
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap8%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 8% [ 2 ]
meditation/breathing exercises
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap16%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 16% [ 4 ]
homeopathic remedies
What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_lcap4%What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
no therapy
 4% [ 1 ]
other
 8% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 25

AuthorMessage
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-01-15

What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Empty
PostSubject: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 11:27 pm

I thought that it might be interesting to see what different types of therapies each of us has attempted and how they worked for us.

Pick all that apply!

For me, I have used psychotherapy, medications, meditations and breathing exercises, aromatherapy and herbal remedies.

I have had differing levels of relief from these different therapies...

psychotherapy- was difficult for me....I am not a good talker.
medications-my body does not tolerate medications well.
meditations and breathing exercise-is what I am currently doing.
aromatherapy-something that I am currently trying.
herbal remedies-I am currently learning more about this.

What about you? Please do share!
Back to top Go down
Moonvoice
Mover
Mover
Moonvoice

Female
Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 5:57 pm

I've tried 'all of the above.' Heh.

psychotherapy/counseling - This has been the best one for me so far. I'm currently seeing a counsellor. And it's been more helpful than any other method. The problem with this is that there are so many shrinks ill-equipped (I feel) to deal with PTSD. I've seen about 8/9 before I ended up here, to give you an idea. You have to be really persistent to find a good one sometimes.

If you find a bad one through the public system, don't be afraid to look around to see if you can find a compassionate psych who is willing to give you a discount, or only see you once a month. Sometimes seeing a decent psych rarely is better than seeing a crap one all the time.

medications - No luck with these. I've taken Zoloft, Effexor and Avanza. Effexor worked the best, but killed my sex drive, my creativity, and didn't do anything for the anxiety or the flashbacks. Ultimately it didn't really help much at all. The Avanza was HORRIBLE. And Zoloft was like taking candy that made me lose my appetite. There are no real good anti-ds out there for PTSD anyway.

herbal remedies - I think these can work in support with therapy (which for me, is a primary choice when dealing with a long term or ongoing mental disorder). It's important to know things like; St John's Wort can take over 3 months to start working and cannot be taken with other anti-depressants / the pill. If you want to use herbal remedies, I seriously recommend you strike up a relationship with a naturopath, rather than using self-diagnosis.

massage - Before my touch phobia was in full effect, this was very helpful. If you're a person prone to depression or anxiety touch can be very healing. Touch helps to release endorphins, it flushes blood through the system and better yet, it leads to more restful sleep and for people with anxiety - relaxes core muscle groups.

acupuncture - I used this to help wtih serious neck muscular tension, and it did help. But not enough that I'd get it again. Same goes for acupressure.

aromatherapy - Aromatherapy carries a few risks (ah the joys of working with essential oils) and it's more a support therapy than anything, but it can help. I feel. Not enough that I still use it though.

meditation/breathing exercises - These are fantastic. Especially for anxiety, and depression, or hell... *anything* really that leads you to feeling tense, uncomfortable etc. Breathing exercises create better equillibrium in the biological body, but can also help you to focus on your emotional state and/or still your mind. And meditation has been proven to increase happiness in all who practice it regularly.

homeopathic remedies - I still use homoeopathics to treat the somatic symptoms of my PTSD, like my irritable bowel syndrome. They work a treat.

Flower Essences (in my 'other' section) - I'd really recommend these, especially to folks who are sensitive to stronger medications. They are gentle, and specifically designed for emotional and spiritual ailments. In fact, both Bach and Living Essences have remedies specifically designed to aid with trauma, depression, and suicidal ideation. I love them.

Energy Work (in my 'other' section) - Don't underestimate the value of modalities like Reiki and Healing touch. Smile

Phew! I'm done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildspeak.com/
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for sharing all of that wonderful information with us, Moonvoice!!

It is greatly appreciated...and gave me some room for thought too!! Very Happy

I love to read your posts all across the Internet....always choked full of really great information PLUS...you always challenge my mind to reach further!

Love and hugs
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2008 7:11 pm

Moonvoice is truly amazing. She is an inspiration for all of us, methinks. *HUGS*

I have tried psychotherapy and medication therapy. I have to say that, like Moonvoice, I have not found a therapist who 'worked' with my particular illness in a way that was constructive. I'm proud that she has now found one who seems to 'get' what to do for PTSD...but I have yet to find anyone who manages to even come up with a good game plan for Schizoaffective Disorder.

I wonder if some of the therapists that I have had weren't simply a bit clueless or unused to working with this disorder (or psychotic disorders in general). Because what I noticed was a lot of Major Depressive and Bipolar generalized therapeutic approaches to my condition and very little grounding therapy that (I believe) is needed for this condition.

Anyway...meds. I have been through just about all antidepressants. I have also tried Abilify with moderate success. I am about to start Clozaril therapy (hopefully this coming week).

GROUP THERAPY...let me just remark that group therapy for psychotic/Schizophrenic conditions is not a very good idea. I have had more trauma from group settings than just about anything else. Maybe it was the chaotic management of the group...but it's not what I call a healing environment and I do not suggest that you subject yourself to it if at all possible.

SOME approaches that I was given for therapy were quite good such as ways to ground myself (though few and far between) and memory/cognitive skill-building exercises. One-on-one therapy is what I need and hopefully will be getting soon.

I have not (unfortunately) had the opportunity to try any other kinds of homeopathic or natural therapies. Crying or Very sad It's something that I would enjoy trying in the future, though.
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
justme
Shaker
Shaker

Female
Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 2:19 am

I have tried counselling for some of the causes of my depression (depression not related to SAD). Am currently taking Lovan which is the same medication I've been on for about 6 years. Last time was the first time I had to increase the medication by half.

I tried St John's Wart. It worked for 2 years but after that the effect wore off. SAD gets worse overtime, so that probably has something to do with it.

I'm fortunate in that what I have is one of the most easily treatable. A combination of medication and light therapy should do the trick. I plan on finding out this year.
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 12:01 pm

Justme..

I have heard some wonderful things about the light therapy with SAD...

I hope that you find it beneficial for you...

Thinking of you.. What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? 99939

Love and hugs.
Back to top Go down
justme
Shaker
Shaker

Female
Number of posts : 55

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:24 am

Thanks Chiblue. Actually, my partner gave me $700 yesterday so I can hurry up and get one instead of me waiting a couple of weeks to save up. I'll be making all the necessary arrangements next week. Tuesday is shaping up to be a busy day for me.

I had 2 sessions with a shrink last year, one to assess me and see if he could help. I agreed to a couple of psycho-analysis sessions to see what would come up. It was a half hour session and we spent literally 15 minutes discussing HIS issue with my having sickness benefit while living with someone. Its illegal here of course, but I had no other option at the time. I needed to find away to support myself and wasn't able to work. I was extremely angry that I was paying him to discuss his issue with me. Have thought about writing to some professional body about it, but I don't want to make my living situation at the time public knowledge.
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 am

Wooo hoooo...congratulations on the money for the light being placed into your hands...I am hoping for good results.. Very Happy

As for the therapist....that is crap...having to wait to see someone and then nothing but his issues....the system just does NOT seem to see what their "rules" are doing to people's lives...and these people already have huge obstacles that they are attempting to deal with...kicking us when we are down...sure as hell does not help at all...

I also understand the frustration....torn between the lack of professionalism and the risk of being completely cut off because of having a live-in partner....ahhh, it is beyond ridiculous...that one even affects the other!!! Another case, of the systems anarchy...I am so sorry, hun...

Please let us know how the light works....you are in my thoughts...

Love and hugs,
Back to top Go down
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Acupunture. When I was going for physio, I was given acupunture a few times for the pain. It worked a little bit the first time, then nothing.

Medication. I'm on Fluoxetine 20mg capsules 1 a day for depression. Amitriptyline 10mg tablets to help with sleeping and the pain, and I'm on CoDydromal 30/500mg painkillers 2 four times a day to ease the pain

Reiki I give myself Reiki quite a lot

Meditation I find the mindfullness of breathing meditation helps a lot when my pain level is intense.

EFT I use this occasionally along with affirmations when I'm in a bad mood , it works almost instantly with this Very Happy
I've used this a couple of times to fight off binge eating but can't stay consistent with it for this.

I think the main cause of my deep depression just now is due to the constant pain I'm in, although I have been on meds in the past for depression and when I had bulimia . It's hard to describe what its like to been in pain 24/7 it really wears me down

I would say Reiki and meditation works the best for me, along with my meds.

Love and Hugs
Aleia
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:04 pm

Awww...HUGS, Aleia....thank you for sharing with us...

Because of all the good things I hear from you about Reiki...and the fact that I have felt the physical/mental affects from you...I am looking into taking a beginner's course...it sounds like a wonderful therapy....I will keep you updated!!!

Love and hugs!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?   What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What types of therapies have you tried? How did they work?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: Therapy & Treatment-
Jump to: