THE INNER REALM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE INNER REALM

Welcome to The Inner Realm, a community for those who bravely battle mental illness and the for the people who love them. PTSD, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, Personality Disorders and practically any other disorder is covered here. All are welcome.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What....

Go down 
+3
Mad Jack
Rae'ya
melba
7 posters
AuthorMessage
melba

Female
Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-01-15

What.... Empty
PostSubject: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 1:53 am

...defines a person as a HSP??

You see, I have always been majoryly sensitive - I mean, the slighteset thing will upset me, or make me angry.

I cry on a regular basis - weather its something on telly, or something I'm reading - even something someone has written can set me off (ie, on forums, emails etc) And I can't stop this.

I'm just wondering if I would be classed as a HSP - I mean, I feel like I am, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for listening Very Happy

xxx
Back to top Go down
Rae'ya
Rae'ya

Female
Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-01-14

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 3:18 am

Heya Mel,

I'm certainly no expert on this, but what you've just told us fits my own understanding of what a highly sensitive person is.

And in the end, I'm not sure that it really matters whether or not everyone 'officially' classes you such. If you feel that way then I'd say that's official enough for me. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male
Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2008-01-10

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 4:52 am

Wonderful question, Mel!

I have to agree with Rae'ya. If you feel that you are an HSP, then chances are you probably are one.

If you would like to know more about what 'defines' an HSP, then please have a look here:

Highly Sensitive People - Attributes and Characteristics
Back to top Go down
https://theinnerrealm.forumotion.com
Aleia
Aleia

Female
Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-01-17

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 1:31 pm

ooooh this sounds so like me to I'd never given it a second thought until now
after reading the attributes and characteristics of Highly Sensitive People.
I didn't even know it had a name.

One new thing learned today Very Happy

Blessings
Aleia
Back to top Go down
http://aleia-journey.blogspot.com/
melba

Female
Number of posts : 32

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 1:56 pm

I found a psychiatric self test online today - after taking this I am now sure I am a HSP.

I'm just so glad it has a name, and I'm not crazy!! lol!!

Thanks for this part of the forum Hun, means alot to finally know I'm not crazy!!

Love Ya

xxx
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2008 7:05 pm

WOOT! I am so glad that Asphodel actually shed light on HSPs for me! I had no clue before she mentioned it that it even existed! It would probably be quite shocking to know just how many people qualify as an HSP!

And there really is no reason to ever feel crazy or abnormal for being this way! I often think that HSPs are the epitome of human, in fact. Feeling things as we are meant to feel them. The emotional beings that we are...I say embrace your nature and celebrate that you are not robotic and desensitized to all that stirs the feelings. *HUGS*
Back to top Go down
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 1:32 pm

My word -

just like Aleia, I read the attributes and nodded at each section... it's me!!

There's a name for being so upset all the time!!!

And, for having an ultra sensitive sense of smell...

so many things just clunked into place!
Back to top Go down
georgie
Noob
Noob

Female
Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-01-18

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 4:15 pm

Like Aleia and Dethas it sounds just like me, I'm very easily upset, although now I suppress my emotions unfotunately, I've learned to blank it out, to be honest I'd rather be able to cry Sad
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2008 6:31 pm

*HUGS* I'm sorry to hear that, Georgie!

I think that we often times feel 'abnormal' and so we see it as the lesser of two 'evils' to just block out our emotions in order to fit in with the rest of society (who usually see sensitivity as a flaw).

Unlearning that 'blocking out' is just as hard as learning to do it! But it can be done. Fortunately, there is now a greater awareness of HSPs and sensitive people in general...and so the stigma of 'being sensitive is bad' has begun to vanish.

I think that you'll find people less apt (today) to say that you're being emotional, hyper-sensitive (or even hormonal) and dramatic. People are starting to accept that our highly-developed feelings and emotions (though not human-specific) are a huge part of what separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom!

The best advice that I can give you (and anyone) would be to consciously make an effort to embrace your emotions more often. If you get upset, (and this is not encouragement to make yourself ill with it, just to acknowledge it) take a moment of quiet time to be alone and allow yourself to feel 'upset'. Be conscious of how your physical body feels when you cry...how your head may pound or even how salty that your tears taste. Then give yourself conscious permission to feel this way...'it's okay to cry...it's okay for me to feel bad'.

You don't have to dwell on an emotion to embrace it. It's just that when we begin to deny ourselves permission to 'feel' in fear of being seen as 'hyper-sensitive' that we start to loose the capacity to feel anything at all.

*HUGS* I hope that this helps. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chiblue
Chiblue

Female
Number of posts : 139

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:10 am

I have now read the charateristics and attributes of the HSP...I must admit that I thought that by not reading this...maybe I did not fit into this group...sounds silly...I know...but I have been drawn back to this topic now..many times...

I do get so easily upset...it shakes me up very badly that I even feel this way...I always chastice myself for being so emotional and not having the strength to cope with this...

I took an online test and I have like 21 characteristics of HSP....guess, I should just face the fact that herein lies another thing to deal with...

I am glad to know that there are many more out there like me...and that I really am not alone....but then I feel bad wishing these feeling on others too...there is just no win with my emotions sometimes....

Smells, colors, noise...I have always been extremely sensitive to....and now that I have been reading about HSP...I fear that my youngest son finds himself right here with us...and he is only 5....many hard years ahead for him too...I fear...

Well, like I said....I truly avoided this post as long as I felt that I could....but those of you who know me....know that I should be here....I feel safe enough to be honest with ya'll....

Last edited by on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mad Jack
Admin
Admin
Mad Jack

Male

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:45 am

*HUGE HUGS* I'm proud of you, hun. It's sometimes hard to find 'yet another' thing that we 'are'...lol I know that it can seem like heaping on another ton of soil when there's already a mountain on our backs...but in reality, it's just another facet of what makes us 'us'.

I think that there are many many many more HSPs in the world than would readily admit it, too. I know a lot of jocks who used to go to my school were so often seemingly untouchable and protected by that ever-present hard exterior...but so many of them...you could watch their faces when something seeming inconsequential happened and you could see the hurt and the effort that it took for them to hide it.

I think, for me, it's hard on us (especially these days) to allow ourselves to feel. It's all about what we should do for our fellow man and anything directed towards ourselves...even a simple thing such as taking the time to get away from what stresses us...can be seen as selfish.

HSPs are fragile people and should take care of themselves first. Other people won't do it, that's for sure.

*HUGS* You rock. All of you do.
Back to top Go down
Dethas

Female
Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-01-11

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 3:03 pm

Mad Jack wrote:

HSPs are fragile people and should take care of themselves first.

True, but we're all here to support each other...

and if there's a problem, I'll sniff it out! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What....   What.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
THE INNER REALM :: The Reactive Mind :: HSP - Highly Sensitive Persons-
Jump to: